Have you ever tried to leave for vacation or travel, and felt overwhelmed on where to start and what to do to get ready to go? Sometimes the list feels extensive. The best way to get ready to travel, especially when traveling abroad is to have a plan that accounts for contingencies.
Here is a checklist for what to do before traveling abroad:
- Check baggage allowance with the airline and plan accordingly
- Let the bank know where I will be traveling and when. I don’t like having my cards shut off for “fraud” when I am overseas.
- Figure out the cell phone situation: Will you be roaming? Do you need to change your plan? Can you use it just not to make calls? (For all the Smart Phone users, a phone is so much more than a phone). Usually airplane mode and Skype is the way to go, but it helps to check.
- Make sure to have the right documentation. Passport, boarding passes, vaccination records.
- Get vaccinated (This depends on where you are going).
- Charge camera batteries
- Get power converters (if needed)
- Fill any prescriptions, and get medical info copied
- Make an emergency card
- Make a copy of driver’s license, social, and passport, and give it to a friend or family not on the trip.
- If purchasing traveler’s insurance, know the policy and the processes for making claims.
- Exchange currency.
- Take photos of luggage so if they get lost you can easily describe them for a claim with the airline.
Around the house things to do:
- Stop the mail
- Turn down the thermostat
- Turn down the water heater
- Lock all windows and doors
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye out
- Check sprinklers are working, etc.
- Take garbage to the road and arrange for a neighbor to bring it back. (Take all the inside garbage out)
I am sure the list could be longer, but if these things are done, you will feel far more confident taking an extended trip overseas, even if there are a few more things you could be doing.
Don’t let the stress of getting ready to travel keep you from getting out and seeing the world. Need a little extra motivation? Here are 10 Reasons to Travel While You are Young.