Guys, have you ever wanted to go on a paradise beach vacation? But didn’t want to spend a fortune to do so? Then let me suggest going to Belize. Off the coast of Belize you will find a few beautiful islands, Caye Caulker and San Pedro!
It is a tourist mecca, and while there are a lot of tourists there, you will be able to find secluded beaches, gorgeous reefs, plenty of dive shops, and amazing food. All of which I will go into in detail on a later post. And you will find it to be a low cost destination with affordable tours, affordable resorts, and affordable food and drinks.
But first, let’s talk about how to get there. Fly to Belize City, Belize. Then you basically have 2 options:
Option 1: Take a boat out to the islands.
Option 2: Fly out to the islands.
There are no direct air services out to the islands from say the US. So you have to fly into Belize City, and from there you can go by boat or air.
Now you may think flying is the best option. While it is a great option, I am going to tell you why you should take a boat.
- The boats run on time. The flights are a little finicky, at least during the rainy season, so you may not get to leave when you think (which can lead to missed reservations). When I visited, the first night several of the resort guests did not get there until the next day because the flights couldn’t leave due to weather. They were left on the mainland with few lodging options, and extra expenses.
- The boats are a lot cheaper. To take the boat service out to the island you only need about $15 USD (each way), a flight will run you closer to $70 USD (each way), so to save some money, take the boats.
- You get to enjoy the beautiful Windex colored waters. It is seriously gorgeous out there.
The disadvantages to taking the boat option are:
- It is kind of loud.
- It takes about 90 minutes to get to San Pedro rather than a short little flight.
- It is not super comfortable. The seats are hard plastic (you know, so they can stay clean).
Despite the drawbacks, I think the boat is the way to go not just for the savings, but the experience and reliability. But which one should you take? Easy: The San Pedro Belize Express!
You can arrange for complete transfers with San Pedro Belize Express, or you can get to the ticket booth by taking a cab from the airport. Just tell the driver to take you to the San Pedro Belize Ezpress ticket booth. It will cost you $25 USD to get there. The boats run on a schedule which is easy to find, so you will want to know which time you are shooting for, although there are plenty of shops and restaurants near the ticket booth if you have to kill time. Find the schedule here.
Buy your ticket, board, and sit back and enjoy the ride.
Here is what I loved about the San Pedro Belize Express:
- The staff is very friendly- Everyone was happy to help and provide information. The staff are easy to identify as they wear bright green shirts!
- The boats are pretty clean- Obviously some people left garbage, etc. but as far as maintenance and regular cleaning go, they do get attention.
- They will take your luggage and keep it very secure under the seating area, giving you a ticket stub which you can use to pick your luggage up at your destination. If you lose your stub, you won’t get your luggage (at least not without some proof it is yours), they take it very seriously, so rest assured no one else will walk off with your bags, but make sure you hang on to the stub!!
- On time- It is nice to be able to count on the boat showing up when it should.
So now that you know how to get to San Pedro, Belize, check back next week for my list of must do and see activities on the islands!
**I was provided with free transportation aboard the San Pedro Belize Express in order to facilitate this review. However, all opinions are my own, and I would never suggest anything to my readers that I did not think was good for them.