I have never been a morning person. I doubt I ever will be. My mom was the type to wake up really early, make us a delicious, healthy breakfast, and wake us up individually (I didn’t use an alarm clock until I moved out!). I loved mornings with my mom, they were a great way to start the day.
The flip side was my mom was asleep by 10 pm. I used to think it was so funny that she could fall asleep watching the 10 o’clock news, but NOW I get it! I’m surprised she lasted until the news. If I’m up before 6:30 am, I’m ready for bed at 9. I need my sleep. I get a little emotional, a little cranky, and maybe just a tad short on patience if I haven’t had enough sleep. If my kids noticed, you would think they would sleep better so I could sleep better, right?
Actually, the other night, my oldest told me that I needed to go to bed. When I asked him why I needed to go to bed he replied, “Because you need to be happy tomorrow and have a good day, so you need to get enough sleep.” That may or may not be exactly what I tell him when it’s his bed time. I guess he recognizes the truth of it for everyone.
Here are some reasons (beyond having a good day tomorrow) that you should get enough sleep:
Do you have a hard time falling asleep? Here’s a quick list of ways to fall asleep faster and have better sleep.
- Remove the TV from the bedroom
- Stretch before you lie down
- Write a list of the thoughts circling in your mind
- Create a bedtime routine for yourself
- Take a bath with lavender salts or oils
- Drink a warm (non-caffeinated) drink
- Avoid caffeine past 3 pm
- Don’t take naps past 3 pm
- Exercise (but finish an hour before you want to fall asleep)
- Avoid eating an hour before bedtime
And now, I think I’ll go take a nap…